I bring you a story about 'harm reduction', complete with cute quotation marks around 'harm reduction'. Despite the proven effectiveness of safe injection sites in reducing the harms caused by the use of some illegal drugs, the author feels the need to show that there is a debate about 'harm reduction'. The debate about harm reduction is on the same level as the debate about global warming or the theory of evolution.
The EWWWW factor comes in when you read the first paragraph of ADDICTS, SEX WORKERS AND ACADEMICS DISCUSS CITY 'HARM REDUCTION' POLICY.
Michelle Ball isn't clean and sober, and doesn't apologize for a second.
"I continue to be a drug user," said the local HIV educator with the AIDS Committee of Ottawa. The dirty-blonde mother of one was part of a panel discussion about the city's harm reduction policies Thursday, march 8 at Bronson Centre.
"I'm going to be completely honest here," continued the former crack user-turned social worker. "Most of my drug use was pretty damn fun . And I still enjoy drugs. I smoke drugs, and I enjoy pharmaceuticals. It's quite fun. It's like exercise for some people."
A motley collection of former sex workers, drug users and academics had gathered in the Centre's Nepean Room for a frank discussion on the City of Ottawa's harm reduction policy and how it relates to local sex workers.
Now there's a ringing endorsement of harm reduction. It helps the bottom rung of society stay high.
I know, this is the statement made by a former street worker turned social worker but it's telling that this is the first thing they put in the article. I am surprised they didn't put quotes around street worker and/or social worker.
This reminds me that somebody should write a post called I am a feminist. Why should I support drug policy reform?" for Pete's FAQ. The number one reason for a feminist to support drug law reform is that if a woman is unfortunate enough to get caught in the thralls of an addiction, she is not forced to get fucked by greasy pervs in order to get her fix. Getting a fix should be as easy as a trip to the local drug store. Drugs should be as valuable as Tylenol or beer. If and/or when she wishes to go into treatment, it should be no different than getting open heart surgery or a tubal ligation.* Patriarchy strikes again.
While I am totally in favour of any measures which help the most-despised members of society, I say screw the half-assed measures and legalize all drugs.
* I had an easy time getting a tubal ligation thanks to socialized medicine and non-Catholic healthcare. I realize how lucky I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment