Stephen Glauser sent me this story today about Saskatchewan's first quasi-legal safe marijuana inhalation room. I will make sure to visit Field of Dreams the next time I am in Regina to thank Dean Foster for making a safe place for medical marijuana users to take their medicine. I was unaware of the difficulties that some people face when they want to use marijuana for medical purposes. A lot of landlords do not want people using marijuana as medicine on their property. One unfortunate woman got a visit from Child Protection Services after a nosy neighbour complained about the smell. I am lucky to be free of nosy neighbours. Most of the people on my block know I smoke up once in a while and have a good laugh about it. I just hope they don't tell the cops about my garden.
What I really liked about this story was the fact that a non-pot smoker wrote it* and sent me the link. In the drug reform movement, the overwhelming majority of activists are users of the unholy, demon weed. The users of marijuana that are growing and selling it are afraid to say anything public about drug prohibition because of the risk of arrest. In my limited experience, most non-users are rather uninterested in drug policy reform and say things like "I used to smoke pot but then I grew up" or "I have no interest in that stuff." I have often wondered about the best way to motivate people to realize that drug policy reform is important and effects everybody. I am still unsure of how to make people care about this issue. Drug users aren't cute and adorable like baby seals. You aren't going to convince gullible, attractive women to wax their private areas and parade around the neighborhood for marijuana smokers. Which is just as well because PETA sucks.
In closing, what do you think would motivate members of the public to get involved or educated about drug policy reform? Are smoke-outs and rallies going to appeal to non-users?
* Or am I being presumptuous?
UPDATE: You gotta love Adsense. Stephen's page had a link to this outstanding web page, which promises to cure me of my marijuana addiction with hypnotherapy. I can end my long term habit now! I wonder if they learned their tricks from the "ex-gay" movement.
MORE UPDATE: The author of the blog post was Stefan Schussler, not Stephen Glauser.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment