Wednesday, March 14, 2007

How to be a Prime Minister

Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime Minister of Canada
80 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A2

Dear Mr. Harper,

I am concerned at the direction that drug policy is taking in this country. When we receive praise from the United States for our drug policy, this should be a cause for concern. As I am sure you are well aware, the United States has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. There are two million Americans in prison in the United States. Five hundred thousand of them are in jail for non-violent drug offenses. The war on drugs has been largely responsible for these rates of incarceration. Despite the increase in prison convictions, we have not seen a reduction in the number of drug users. In fact, the number of illegal drug users has increased by almost 20%. I can speak for a large number of Canadians when I say that the praise being heaped on us by Drug Czar John Walters and his supporters makes me extremely uncomfortable.

It would be nice to see you take a principled stand and favour a sensible reform of our drug policy. If Mexican President Felipe Calderon is not afraid to oppose President Bush, than surely the Canadian public can expect better from our very own Right Honourable Prime Minister.

Sincerely,

Tanya Derbowka

Should I take a page out of Jesus Generals' book and send this? Or w00t?

No comments: