Thursday, June 14, 2007

More about Wawota

Here is the article that appeared in the National Post. It is a pretty cool read.

If there is anybody in Wawota that has a story to tell, please email it or leave it in the comments. I would love to hear what other people in Wawota have to say about this story, whether you choose to be anonymous or publish under your real name.

I got this letter in my inbox (reprinted with permission):

Subject : Kieran King and discussion on the topic of marijuana

As reported on the websites of the CBC and an independent blogger, (www.cbc.ca and www.blamethedrugwar.blogspot.com , respectively) I understand that there was an incident at your school in regards to the suspension of a student for disseminating information on the medicinal uses of marijuana.

While I do not presume to be privy to all of the relevant details in this context, I am aware of the medicinal use of marijuana, and its approval for such use, with certain conditions, by Health Canada. On the face of it, a discussion acknowledging the truth of this information along with a cautioning against drug abuse would seem to have been a much more appropriate response to the situation than that which was taken.

A lockdowns and suspensions are not an acceptable responses and are not conducive to the development of critical thinking in this country’s children. In addition, taking such a forceful, one-sided, and narrow minded approach to any regulated substance whether it be alcohol marijuana is not conducive to dialogue. Such an approach is often what causes authority figures to lose credibility and the ability to influence youth in a positive way. For these reasons I suggest your school take a more enlightened approach to situations like this should they arise in the future.

I also suggest that a research project be given to the class, perhaps divided into two groups. One to compile the health risks of abuse and the other to compile the medicinal use of the substance. Each group could present their information to the other and dialogue could ensue. I wish you the all the best in your continuing educational management and supervisory roles.


Respectfully,


Corey Roland Turnbull

No comments: