I am pro-choice for the same reason that I support an end to the drug war. Abortion bans and drug prohibition are both examples of the tyranny of the majority against a minority group. Opposing abortion rights has profound repercussions for a minority group – women that have abortions. It seems easy for a majority group to impose restrictions to minority groups because of the perception that “it doesn’t affect me”. When Canada first banned marijuana, there were next to no marijuana smokers and we relied on imported reefer madness propaganda from the States, dispensed by Emily Murphy, to push for a ban on marijuana. There was no way of knowing at that time what the consequences were going to be in terms of wasted public resources and needless deaths. Abortion rights are seen in the same way; a lot of men have the audacity to oppose abortion rights, despite the fact that they will never be pregnant.
The pro-life side loves to wax poetical about saving babies, saving women from the harms caused by abortion and preaching at women about ”post-abortion syndrome” (they made it up.) They love to go on about the 47 million babies slaughtered since Roe v. Wade. They act as if abortions did not exist before 1973. Unfortunately they did. Just like banning drugs has not stopped people from using drugs, banning abortion did not stop abortions. Illegal abortions lead to horribly painful deaths for many women. *This link is very disturbing, read at your own risk. Opposing abortion is not pro-life.
I am glad that I live in Canada, where abortion is completely unregulated thanks to the activism of Henry Morgentaler.
This is my favorite pro-choice post that I have ever read and it illustrates the hypocrisy of the pro-life stance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment