Monday, January 01, 2007

Saddam Execution

I am extremely disgusted by the whole debacle. The worst part is the horrible coverage of it by the mainstream media. I don't have first-hand experience with CNN and Fox anymore because I swore off watching bullshit television ages ago. But just having a conversation with my Mom after his execution was enough to disgust me. I love my mom but sometimes she is as smart as a bag of hammers. I don't blame her for that, I am just assuming that the coverage of the execution was extremely pro-USA, pro-George Bush. Anyway, my dearest Mom was complaining about the bleeding hearts that are opposed to capital punishment. I pointed out that the Americans aren't exactly innocent (Abu Graib? Iraq war?) If we are going to string up Saddam there are a lot of other people that have blood on their hands as well. Luckily for my mom, she knows how smart I am and quickly changed her tune.

Anyway, enough of my babblings. I just wanted to link some analysis of the execution, which was performed on "Eid", a Muslim holiday of peace. This is the equivalent of having Stephen Harper executed on Christmas day. The amount of disrespect showed to the Iraqi people is infuriating. Glenn Greenwold talks about the bending of the law and the thuggery displayed during Saddam's final moments.

I will end this by quoting Glenn Greenwold, he sums it up a lot better than I could.

So this is the grand and noble achievement which the President and his band of bloodthirsty followers are reduced to celebrating -- a lawless, thugish hanging, carried out in clear and deliberate violation of the law, by a bunch of homicidal street thugs and militia foot soldiers who themselves will be included among our next kill targets once our glorious "sustained surge" begins.

No matter what we touch in Iraq, no matter what we do, it only makes things worse -- never better -- because the root of what we are doing is itself so rotted and incoherent and corrupt. It's beyond doubt that we're going to be treated to much more "freedom" and "justice" like this over the next two years in Iraq, at least.


Also, via PZ

You know, foreign occupying power, powerful religious group agitating for the execution of a hated, charismatic competitor, promises of who will bear the guilt for the deed, metaphorical washing of the hands…jebus, if I know what a counterproductive PR disaster that was for the Pharisees and the Romans, what's the matter with the American leadership in Iraq? Don't they read the bibles they thump? Add to that that they've apparently done the execution at a time when it is "religiously unacceptable", and we've got a situation that makes Pontius Pilate look good.

No comments: