Wednesday, February 07, 2007

We're the Government--and You're Not

I made the mistake of accepting a half-time contract with the school board so now I have every morning to waste on frivolous nonsense like posting on my blog. I shouldn't complain but I have to say that three hours of work every day just isn't enough for me to do. *ZzzzZZzzz* I suppose I will just have to spend my free time working on the Martensville by-election. It's too bad that reading the elections act gives me a bigger headache than smoking all the schwaggy weed in Mexico.

I found the following video via Loretta Nall, the former gubernatorial candidate in Alabama. It is a great video and it coincides with some thoughts I had last night about the state of Canada-U.S. relations.



Yesterday, as I was listening to the teacher discuss culture during a social studies class, she got on the subject of ethnocentrism. She discussed with the kids all the harms caused by the Europeans' attempts to assimilate Native people into their culture. Native children were taken away from their families and sent to residential schools. They were not allowed to speak their traditional languages or participate in their cultural ceremonies. The abuse inflicted on Aboriginal peoples' is a scar on Canadian society. This is not much different than what I was taught as a young'un about the history of relations between Aboriginal people and the Europeans they welcomed with open arms.

But then the teacher asked the class for another example of ethnocentrism. A student raised his hand and said, "What about the United States invading Iraq?". The teacher was impressed by his insight and went on to explain that the people in the United States feel that their way of life and government is the best way to live. They have invaded other governments to impose democracy on them and there have been a lot of negative consequences. "Iraq is a mess."

This takes me way back in time when I was a young, impressionable grade 8 student learning about the world. I recall learning that Canada and the United States have the World's longest undefended border. Having friendly relations with a world superpower was part of being Canadian. Because we consume and are part of the same popular culture as the States, we have a lot in common. I remember thinking that that was a great part of being Canadian. The times sure have changed. Sitting in a class with a teacher discussing the failings of the States openly and not mentioning our "friendly relationship" made me kind of sad.

I want to go back there! I don't want to live next door to the George Bush Americans, invading and blowing things up. I don't want to be "friendly neighbours" with a country that cares more about what their politicians and citizens do with their wee-wees and hoo-has than foreign policy, health care or education. I just hope that if any Americans are reading this that you will do your best to make me proud to be your neighbour again. Fight the system and make your voice heard.

No comments: