Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I Don't Blame Police For Incident

Gordon Sinclair Jr. offers his insight into the disastrous Winnipeg police raid of a kid who was allegedly using and/or selling the Wrong Drugs.

Feel free to click the link and read the article in its' entirety. Read about the tsunami-like flood of letters that were received regarding the conduct of the police officers. He opines that while he does not blame the police for what happened, he does believe that the incident needs to be investigated in an objective manner.

But the readers want to know. What about the officers' families? Why haven't we heard from them? They put their lives on the line every single day to protect the lives of the public and this is how we treat them?

I agree with Sinclair that the actions of the officers needs to be investigated. However the blame for this incident falls squarely on the drug war. And part of the blame for the drug war falls on the police. The police are the biggest prohibitionist lobby in Canada. You would think that the police would oppose prohibition. They are on the front-lines on the war on drugs yet they seem to be incapable of seeing that the violence and crime are the direct result of prohibition. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising when you consider that prohibition fuels the police budget and is giving them more power and authoritah.

I would have far more sympathy for the police if they had the guts to oppose prohibition. Outside of LEAP, the police are overwhelmingly in favor of maintaining prohibition and demanding more power and resources to win the war on drugs.

I have the following statement to make to police:

Does it feel good to participate in drug raids? Is it satisfying to do a job which is completely worthless and does nothing to reduce the number of drug users, drug addicts or make an impact on the supply of illegal drugs? I like to think that most police officers enter the force to make a positive impact on society and protect the public. Yet that mission is corrupted every time they do another drug raid or preach to school children about the bullshit gateway theory.

I am finding it difficult to have sympathy for the officers when they are partially responsible for this bullshit war on drugs in the first place.

No comments: