I was thinking about this idea, that keeping drugs illegal and unregulated adds to their appeal to young, foolish impressionable teenagers. I agree with that whole heartedly. I recall being treated to an anti-drug presentation put on by the RCMP when I was in the seventh grade. The RCMP lectured us about the dangers of drugs that noe of us were exposed to like marijuana and LSD. I impressed the hell out of my classmates by declaring that "I know what marijuana smells like!" whilst strutting around. Meanwhile, nobody said anything about the legal drugs that we were experimenting with at the ripe old age of twelve, such as tobacco and alcohol. Maybe they had the same mindset as groups such as The Drug Prevention Network of Canada, that all use of illegal drugs is abuse and some use of legal drugs is acceptable.
The RCMP came and lectured us impressionable young'uns and brought us glass cases full of drugs and drug paraphanelia to admire. I saw little tabs of acid with pictures of cartoon characters on them, proof that drug dealers were targetting children. I saw joints rolled up in pretty, colorful paper. I listened as the police informed us that passing a joint to your friend was trafficking and would result in us being put in jail for a very, very long time. This all had the effect of making illegal drugs seem very cool!
I do believe that encouraging teenagers to stay drug free is a worthy goal. I think that there should be a sixth step added to the "How to Make Drugs Boring" List.
6. Show Respected Adults Using Drugs*
If most teachers were seen using a bong, it wouldn't seem quite so cool and rebellious anymore.
In light of that fact, maybe I should make a youTube movie of me smoking a joint. There is nothing more uncool than the sight of me smoking. If that doesn't stop the little punks from smoking weed, nothing will.
* Assuming that I am a respected adult, of course.
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I dont know. There are those that might not want to do drugs if they saw someone "uncool" doing them, but then there might be the mentality that thinks those people suddenly aren't as uncool anymore. Something to think about...
Post a Comment