Carson High's student newspaper has run afoul of school authorities for the second consecutive week, this time over articles that argue for legalized marijuana, the benefits of masturbation and greater sexual freedom among teenagers.
After consulting with his superiors, Principal Kenneth Keener decided to postpone Wednesday's scheduled publication. He said that three signed opinion pieces needed better writing and alternative viewpoints.
Last week, an edition of the Trailblazer was withdrawn after publication because of an anonymous article that among other things compared rowdy black students at a nearby Taco Bell to a "pack of monkeys." At the time, all sides agreed that the issue would be quickly reprinted without the offending piece.
But new problems arose because "even if you are presenting an opinion piece it should include pros and cons," Keener said. "The article about legalizing marijuana doesn't talk about any of the consequences of breaking the law or talk about research that marijuana is a gateway to other drugs."
Somebody needs to tell Keener and Co. that the gateway theory is bullshit. Does he not see the contradiction in talking about the consequences of breaking the law in an article about legalizing marijuana? Dude, if it were legal it wouldn't be breaking the law anymore and then there would be no legal consequences. See how that works?
Don't you love how they mention a racist article about monkeys at the local Taco Bell, and then mention the marijuana legalization piece right after that? You know, because being racist is on the same level of stupid as advocating for the legalization of marijuana. Those silly children, where do they come up with these crazy ideas?
Now, I am not a journalist, I am merely a know-it-all smarty pants with a shitty blog that nobody reads, but I do know that editorials do not require offering more than one point of view. I personally could never write an editorial that presented both sides of the legalization dealio because I feel strongly that prohibition is a horrible evil. I don't see two sides of the issue and I highly doubt that most people do. That's like asking a pro-lifer to argue in favor of abortion.
The masturbation piece starts by listing slang expressions for what it calls "America's favorite forbidden pastime."
The article, Keener said, is something "students may be interested in, but was it correct to be printed in a student newspaper?"
OH NO NOT MASTURBATION! We can't have kids touching their own body parts. And then discussing it in a newspaper. This is too terrible to contemplate.
This reminds me of my high school days when we had a very well-intentioned lady, who I suspect had never had an orgasm, talk to us about how sex would infect us all with nasty diseases unless we waited until we were married. When one of us cheeky monkeys asked about masturbation she acted horrified and offended that any of us could think of such a terrible thing. See, the thing is nobody gets sick or pregnant from masturbation, otherwise I would be a diseased mom of 435435 children, I tellz you the truth!
My goodness, we certainly can't have people admitting to having the most natural and beneficial drive known to humanity!
I have never understood the taboo about masterbation and I guess I never will. Everybody does it and if they don't they should. And yes I include myself in that statement.
Great, I just admitted that I masterbate. This is going to come back to haunt me one day.
In conclusion, these free speech-hating school officials and parents need to chill out. I hope these kids fight the establishment and get to publish their controversial articles.
What good is high school if you aren't allowed to think for yourself?
No comments:
Post a Comment