Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The day after the elections

None of the marijuana ballot initiatives that I was in favor of passed yesterday. Colorado's ammendment 44 lost 40-60%. South Dakota's medical marijuana initiative lost by a narrow 48-52%. Nevada's question 7 suffered the same fate, with 56% of voters opposed to allowing the regulated sale of marijuana. But it isn't all bad news. Initiatives in California and Montana to make marijuana enforcement the lowest priority all passed.

My unhealthy obsession with US politics, a process which I will never be able to make a meaningful contribution to in any way, shape or form does give me pause from time to time. But it really is important when you consider how closely the War on Drugs fought within our own borders is influenced by US policy.

I was pondering these ballot initiatives and Canada doesn't have them. They are very interesting and I was wondering if they were a positive part of the democratic process. Not only do you get to choose an elected official but you also get to choose whether other people can have abortions, use marijuana as medicine, allow gays to get married or be entered into a million dollar lottery draw. Just what we need, more uninformed morons voting so they can be entered into a draw. I am shocked that this one got on the ballot.

It just seems like a way to motivate the fundie bigot fag-haters into showing up at the polls. I am inclined to think that Canada not having ballot initiatives is a very good thing. It seems to me that these issues should be decided by our elected representatives rather than uninformed bigots. I have such little faith in the voting public.

2 comments:

Saskboy said...

A vote to win, initiative? Yikes

Tanya said...

What exactly do you mean by that?