A Toronto professor wants to smoke his prescription pot at the university where he works and is refusing to step onto campus until he can.
York University professor Brian MacLean says he has clearance from Health Canada for medical marijuana use for an undisclosed illness, but there is no place at work where he can smoke it.
"I have to medicate a lot," he says. "There's no issue here, well, can I restrain my medication on campus? No, I can't."
I am finding it very satisfying the way educators are getting involved in the fight to normalize and legalize the use of cannabis. This is the second time I have read about a university prof using marijuana as medicine and it is really nice to see.
I just wonder what is going to happen when it's an elementary or high school teacher that steps outside to use medical marijuana on a coffee break. I suspect there would be howls of outrage and more pleas for somebody to please think of the children.
And of course the 4:00 Friday "choir practice"* will continue unabated and unquestioned. I would still like to show up for choir practice with a bag of pre-rolled reefers but I suspect hell will freeze over before that happens.
* choir practice is the friendly euphemism announced on school intercoms on Friday afternoons which means, send the kiddles home and let's meet at the local pub for a refreshing alcoholic beverage, to celebrate another successful week of educating children.
No comments:
Post a Comment