Sunday, October 08, 2006

My LTE appeared in Saturday's Star Phoenix

I wish I could find a picture of the cartoon that inspired me to send off an angry email to the paper. In any case I can assure you that it was stupid enough to justify my letter that mocked it. Without further ado, my letter:

Newshawk: CMAP http://www.mapinc.org/cmap
Pubdate: Saturday, October 7, 2006
Source: StarPhoenix, The (CN SN)
Contact: spnews@SP.canwest.com
Website: http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/starphoenix/
Author: Tanya Derbowka

Dopey thinking behind cartoon on medical pot

I wish I could say I was amused by the cartoon in the Sept. 28 edition of
The SP that portrayed a couple of "typical" stoners discussing the loss of
funding for medical marijuana research.

The loss of funding is another underhanded attack on medical marijuana and I
wouldn't be surprised if the existing medical marijuana program is the next
thing on the Tory chopping block.

It is despicable that only 1,306 terminally ill patients across Canada have
legal access to this medicine, which has proven beneficial to people
suffering from various chronic ailments such as cancer, AIDS and multiple
sclerosis.

The lack of access by sick and dying people to medical marijuana is a highly
contentious issue and is the reason the majority of patients are still going
to the black market to gain access to their medicine. Portraying cannabis
consumers in a stereotypical negative light does nothing to help their
cause.

And you think potheads are the dopes?

Tanya Derbowka
Saskatoon

No comments: