Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reefer Madness from Margaret Trudeau


See, this is a perfect example of why people need to quit listening to celebrities. Being the ex-wife of a dead former Prime Minister does not validate your worthless opinions. Maggie Trudeau's reefer madness tour is a case in point.

Quitting cannabis has been an important part of her recovery from mental illness, Margaret Trudeau said Monday at a press conference in Vancouver for the Canadian Mental Health Association's upcoming Bottom Line Conference.

Trudeau, who suffers from bipolar disorder, spoke openly with reporters about her experience with depression and the effect of her long-term marijuana use.

"I loved marijuana. I was a hippie in the '60s," Trudeau said with a laugh.

"I started smoking at a young age. I took to it like a duck to water. Strawberry Fields Forever and all that."

Trudeau, who will be the keynote speaker at the Vancouver conference on March 7, said one of the difficulties in seeking help is the stigma associated with mental illness.


What works for Maggie must work for everybody, right? If smoking marijuana was a factor in her mental illness, then quitting was certainly the right thing to do. But to imply that this advice applies to everybody is foolish. Some people even use marijuana to treat their mental illnesses. I'm sure the Vancouver Sun will get right to work publishing their stories.

No comments: