Jared Giesbrecht, Justice Critic for the Green Party, added that the 2002 Senate Special Committee on Drugs and examples from European countries have led the Green Party to the conclusion that it is time to legalize the adult use of marijuana, developing a taxation rate for the substance similar to that of tobacco.
“Mr. Harper’s plan to impose tougher penalties on users of marijuana and other drugs is a misguided approach. Substance abuse is a medical issue, not a criminal issue. Simply spending more tax dollars on drug law enforcement is not the answer. Canadians want to see a comprehensive anti-drug strategy that gets to the root of the problem, not Harper’s patch-work agenda that seeks the quick fix.”
Good job Green Party! I just wish that the other parties could get on board with the legalization of marijuana. The Liberals and the NDP take the cowards way out and strongly support the Insite safe injection site while completely ignoring the drug war. I won't waste my time supporting the NDP until they live up to their policy resolutions and get serious about ending the drug war.
Of course, if a party dared to speak of legalizing all drugs, they would get two gold stars from me. But that's asking a lot, I know. I wonder if people are ready to hear that message.
No comments:
Post a Comment