Monday, November 06, 2006

This is what real activism looks like

Smoking in public, writing blogs, writing letters to the editor and marching in rallies are certainly not the only ways to be a good activist. After this story appeared on MAPinc, Judith Renaud of EFSDP talked to Mark Wintjes about the many reasons to be opposed to student drug testing.

I just got off the phone with Mark Wintjes, Principal of 100 Mile House Junior Secondary School. The drug testing kit is provided by Branan Medical Corporation, 'ORATECT' http://www.brananmedical.com

He did not know of any other school using the kit but he did say it was not suggested by his board it was a brochure that was sent from the company and landed on his Vice Principal's desk.

I asked him to check out our website and told him I will be sending him copies of DPA's Safetylst and Beyond Zero Tolerance booklets. What did come out of our conversation is how important it is to find out just how successful or unsuccessful drug testing is, Mark suggested I follow up with him in the next few months. He also reiterated that he will test only if approved by the parents.

Judith
Executive Director


This is the type of action that will make a real difference. Mr. Wintjes had not heard of EFSDP and it is time to get the word out about this fine organization. I do not agree with the addage "I would not join a club that would have me as a member."

But it is obvious that we need to get out there and let the educational world know that we exist. There is so much work for activists to do I sometimes have no idea where to begin.

Although I did tell a suspicious teacher about the federal medical marijuana program. She wasn't very receptive to the information that I gave her. Reefer madness is a huge force of evil, I tell you the truth.

No comments: