Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tell me something I don't know

New Studies Destroy the Last Objection to Medical Marijuana

New research on "vaporization" has demonstrated that all those fears about the ill effects of smoking marijuana are 100 percent obsolete.

Anyone who advocates for medical marijuana sooner or later runs into arguments about smoking: "No real medicine is smoked." "Smoking is bad for the lungs; why would any doctor recommend something so harmful?" It's a line of reasoning that medical marijuana opponents have used to great effect in Congress, state legislatures, and elsewhere. Indeed, the FDA's controversial 2006 statement opposing medical marijuana was couched in repeated references to "smoked marijuana."


I'm sure that the Drug Czar will write about that on his blog any day now.

Hmmm let's see what the Drug Czar has put about medical marijuana on his blog. He has a repugnant letter from Dennis Hastert that is overflowing with reefer madness.

At a time when recent trends in youth drug use have shown a significant downturn, I was disturbed by your recent editorial "Legalize medical marijuana" in support of state legislation to permit the growth of marijuana for medical purposes.

As a former schoolteacher and coach and father of two, I believe in giving our kids a drug-free future. Illegal drugs are responsible for the loss of 17,000 American lives annually, and marijuana is by far the most used and abused of these drugs. More kids use marijuana than cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and all other illicit drugs combined. Legislation that allows, supports or recognizes marijuana as a medicine is irresponsible, shortsighted and sends the wrong message to our youth.


You would never know from this letter that nobody has ever died from using marijuana. I wonder why a former schoolteacher and coach and father of two would write such a misleading letter. Hey I know! Maybe being a parent doesn't stop you from getting paid to lie to people.

Why would it matter to youths that we allow a patient stricken with AIDS or cancer to treat themselves with medical marijuana? We allow all sorts of dangerous drugs to be used in the course of medicine without worrying about the messages it sends. What message does it send to children when we allow crystal meth to be prescribed to kids to treat their ADHD?

No comments: