Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows

I am in complete agreement with Kate of SDA, for once. What's going on? Have I completely lost my mind? Am I wrong about drug prohibition?

No, we aren't in complete agreement. All I had to do was venture into the comments for this gem:

Don't misinterpret my post. I am in no way advocating decriminalization or legalization of recreational drug use.

However, there is a legitimate market for this crop.

(The argument that legalization starves organized crime is false, and no - the prohibition example doesn't support it, or we'd have no organized crime today. These people engage in high risk, high return criminal enterprises because they're criminals, not because they secretly wish to live regular lives as used car dealers. Legalize pot and they'll simply ratchet up the volume on human smuggling, crystal meth, whatever brings in the big bucks. It's like pushing on a balloon. The fact that substance abuse is a problem without any ultimate solutions does not logically lead to removing all curbs and controls - otherwise, we might as well legalize break and enters, too.)


HA HA HA HA HA

Because passing a joint to a willing consumer is exactly the same as break and enter. Good one.

That crack about illegal drugs being subjected to "curbs and controls" was also good for a giggle.

First Michelle Malkin and now this? Who said conservatives can't be funny?

No comments: