I always get discouraged when I see a story like this. To summarize, the article is the story of a drug addicts' struggle to throw off the terrible shackles of marijuana addiction. The author describes the rages he went into when he suffered from a lack of weed. The author's downfall is a common story that we have all come to expect. He pawned his entire philosophy of literature collection and eventually his professional photo equipment in order to afford his expensive drug habit. He had difficulty finding a dealer and coming up with the cash to pay for his habit. Yes, typical drug users pawn their valuable possessions. At least this guy wasn't breaking into houses and shooting his best friend! Redemption comes at the end of the article when he quits smoking pot, despite the ineptitude of so-called drug counsellors that liken smoking pot to using heroine and cocaine.
Isn't it interesting that the author begins with the article describing how pot is addictive, despite the claims of outspoken potheads, yet manages to escape the clutches of marijuana on his own accord? Sounds to me like a severe case of reefer madness.
I feel the need to counteract this story by describing my personal drug habits. I highly doubt that my story would be interesting enough to publish in the newspaper. My story does not include pawning my things or prostituting myself to support my habit/s. Nobody gets killed or screamed at. It's frighteningly mundane.
I started smoking pot when I was introduced to it by my ex. For the record, this is the only positive thing that he has ever done. I was a university student and as we all know, "the time and place for drugs is college"*. I smoked my first joint and immediately felt a sense of peace and calm that I hadn't felt in a long time. It also made everything better, food tasted better and colors seemed more vivid.
I continued to enjoy marijuana throughout my adult life. I save it for special occasions and I am an extremely moderate smoker, by just about any standards. I also quit during my two pregnancies, even though I highly doubt that marijuana is harmful to foetuses. But the last thing a woman wants to be is a bad parent and abusive to foetuses, so I digress.
I have found that marijuana is the best thing to ease PMS cramps and insomnia, far better and cheaper than any legal medicine available to me. Does this make me a medical marijuana user? Not by the governments' standards. Oh sure the government lets sick and dying patients have medical marijuana. Exactly 1306 Canadians have access to medical marijuana. I am sure that there are only 1306 terminally ill patients in Canada that would benefit from medical marijuana, right? Because I am not dying and I have not swam through their river of shit and bureaucracy in order to gain gov't approved access, I am a law-breaker!
In all the time that I have used pot I have had several long periods that I completely quit smoking. And I can honestly say that running out of pot was far from being a catastrophe. I have never felt the need to go to any drastic measures to get marijuana. Running out of potato chips is more likely to cause me panic than running out of pot.
So there it is, my drug habits posted for the entire world to see.
*South Park reference!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment